Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Wednesday Homework

Run a 5K.

Use www.mapmyrun.com to create a 5K (3.1 miles) route around your neighborhood. Go as fast as you can, and walk, roll, crawl, shuffle, carioca or bunny hop as needed. I really don't care how you do it, but move your body under your own power for 3.1 miles and record your time.

Post your time to the comments.

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

are you kidding me?
That is not home work it is torture!

Anonymous said...

If I pretend I didn't just read it, will it just go away?

Patti said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Patti said...

If anyone wants to join us, Sharon mapped out a route, starting at Bessie Branham park. We're going to meet at 6:00 to make sure we get a warmup in and hopefully finish by 7:00.

Anonymous said...

So I guess it didn't just go away...

Here's a 5k route starting and ending at Bessie Branham Park in Kirkwood.

http://www.mapmyrun.com/run/united-states/ga/atlanta/897643763329

See you tomorrow morning. I'm bringing my iPod.

ANDIE--Rocks! said...

Well my journey started at 6:16am this morning, could not find anyone at the park so I was alone. I have the nike plus on my ipod so I was goingto have it measure my distance. At 7:04am I got back to my car with my ipod still not clocking 3.1 miles. At that point I have to get home for work. I got home and the first thing I did was map my run to see how far I have gone. I RAN(mostly) 4 miles 46.45 to be exact! attached is my route to prove it!
http://www.mapmyrun.com/run/united-states/ga/decatur/320754313656

Patti said...

Sorry Andie! I feel terrible that you were on your own. Let's exchange phone numbers tomorrow so we can better coordinate when we make changes to the plan.

34:09

Leeanna Lim said...

Andie, we tried to get started ealier this morning at 6 AM. It was still SO GREAT to see you along the way. Great job!!! You're really amazing.

I didn't think this would've been possible so I'm really greatful Sharon & Patti agreed to meet up. I had already made up my mind to sleep in ;) Turned out the hardest part about this homework was in my head.

We ended up making some modifications to Sharon's route. It was a nice run, scenic and easy to follow.

http://www.mapmyrun.com/run/united-states/ga/atlanta/897643763329

34:25

Unknown said...

Hi Everybody! Thanks for sharing this route. I could not get up b/c Hubby got home from SF at midnight. We are going to do this route this evening. One question - were there many hills? I thought about just going to the track at Decatur High but you all have inspired me!

ANDIE--Rocks! said...

KAYAKING UPDATE::
Ok- I can only go on Sunday
I was going to try both sat and sun but I can not
Sunday Morning meet at mulligans parking lot @ 8:30 am
I would like to get a tally of who is coming so please let me know
here is the website again
http://www.broadriveroutpost.com/

Patti said...

Here is the Bessie Branham 5K that we ran this morning (I think Leeanna's link is incorrect).

Start at the NW corner of the park. Go North on Kirkwood, East on College, South on Rockyfoord, West on Hosea Williams, North on N Howard, East on College, South on Kirkwood, and East on Ridgedale to end at the playground.

Lisa, there are a couple hilly parts but they are not too bad. Just remember what Ben said: Use short, choppy quick steps to get up those hills! It really helps!

Leeanna Lim said...

Thanks for sending the correct link Patti. Dunno what happened to the first one.

Also, please note that the route is actually exactly 3.1 miles (5k woooo!) I mapped it earlier taking into account which side of the road we ran on.

Leeanna Lim said...

Andie, my husband and I are in for Sunday.

Our real estate agent is doing an open house for us that day from 2pm to 5pm so it couldn't be a more perfect time to be out of the house :)

Also, picnic?

Anonymous said...

Lisa -- There aren't too many hills on this route. The best part is that you get them out of the way within the first 1/2 of a mile.

It really wasn't that bad...honestly. I could do it again...just not today :) We should plan to do it again one weekend and go to breakfast afterwards.

It was great seeing Andie on a side street this morning. You were running hard!!! You also inspired me to keep moving. I can't even believe I did it. Thanks Patti and Leeanna for circling back, jogging along with me and pushing me to finish strong.

My time = 53:44

Michele said...

I missed you all this week. i was going to post but didn't use a computer at all. ironically i ran a 5K on tuesday morning - we hold a road race every year at camp for our volunteers to participate in and raise money and it just so happens to be a 5K. I don't remember my exact time but it was just over 30 minutes because a friend commented that i averaged around a 10 minute mile. I hope you all had a great week. I was thinking of you every morning because I was up at 6am - getting dressed and ready for the day that started with a meeting at 7am. For those of you going tomorrow, i'll see you kayaking - if not - see you on Monday!