Monday, July 14, 2008

Workouts for the Break

It’s important to give your body a break after engaging in high intensity workouts, so please use our time off to heal up any bumps, bruises and strains. After a few days of rest, we suggest participating in some type of workout to get the blood pumping and the muscles working again. If you’ve really got some pain, stick to the swimming pool or bicycle, and try to work on perfecting your push-up, sit-up and squat form.

Otherwise, we’ve listed some different workouts to try out over the break so you can come back to camp rested and prepared to tackle another 6 weeks. Overall try to keep the number of workouts per week at 3 to 4. No more. Remember, playing can be a great workout too!

Many of you indicated that you’d love to work out together so please post comments to form your own small groups. Continue to give details – when/where/what workout – and I’m sure you’ll even more people on board.

Suggested workouts:

  1. Run a 5K and record your time. Use www.mapmyrun.com to map out the 3.1 mile distance around your neighborhood.
  1. For time:
    100 push-up burpees
  1. 5 rounds – AFAP
    50 jumping jacks
    40 mt. climbers each leg
    30 tuck jumps
    20 crunches
    10 diamond pushups
  2. 45 min. tour of a park

As you run to various locations, include the following in your tour:

Bench jumps – 30 secs x 5

Dips – 30 secs x 5

Hill Runs

Bench squat jumps – 30 secs x 5

Plyometric push-ups – 30 secs x 5

  1. Complete 3 rounds of the following and record your time:

Run 400 meters forward

Run 200 meters backward

When finished, complete a hip circuit with 30 reps of each.

  1. Play a sport for 45 minutes. We’re serious! Get together and play basketball, Frisbee, flag football, whatever.
  1. Alotta tabata. Complete the following series (20 sec work/10 sec rest) with no rest in between sets other than the 10 seconds:

Pullups (or jumping pull-ups or rows if you can find a railing/bar that’s appropriate)

Situps

Pushups

Squats

Dips

Total time: 20:00 min

27 comments:

ANDIE--Rocks! said...

Workout schedule for this week
Monday 6:15am Besse Branham park(kirkwood)
Tuesday-evening 7:30 Sweetwater Yoga studio intro class $15.00?
Wednesday- Meet at BBpark @6:15am
Thursday-meet at BBpark @6:15am
Friday-swimming @ the Y
leanna will post more details
Saturday- earlier post 5k @ BBpark then brunch @ Cpow's house bring something to share. Cpow still need directions!
call me w/questions 404-642-8117
leanna,patti,cpow,and lisa add anything that I missed
Andie

Unknown said...

Great workout today, Andie! Thanks for posting the schedule. Looks like Thursday is the only day I can make it. We can choose one of the suggested workouts posted here. Anybody have a preference?

I can't make the brunch - going to California and wont be back until a week after camp starts back up.

Anonymous said...

did you mean Stillwater Yoga? Sweetwater Yoga is in Austell.

ANDIE--Rocks! said...

hehe yes stillwater
I have beer on my mind

cpow said...

WEEEEE a run AND some good food to follow! OK plan on brunch at my pad Saturday 11a. HOpefully that gives everyone some time to get home, shower if need be, and take a load off before coming over for fun-food-fellowship and fancyfreeness!
My address is 217 Adair St. Decatur Ga 30030. They are condos and unfortunately we dont have too much parking in our place, so's if you wouldnt mind parking on Adair or around the corner from my place, that would be superb! this is a potluck brunch, so everyone bring a dish and we'll gather around and eat up! AFter this weeks workouts im sure we're going to be hungry! yikes! crikey! im skert! just kddn! Phone number is 404-213-8564

see some of yous this week, and hopefully more of yous this Saturday! YAY!

cpow said...

OH and im in unit 4 up top, look for the yellow umbrella ella ella hey hey!

cpow said...

ok ladies! im gonna be at BB park tomorrow morning at 6:15a and will have a workout for us to do. what will it be what will it be???

also i'll be at the yoga class tonight, so i'll see whomever's there there!

ANDIE--Rocks! said...

I am still thinking about the yoga
but I will definitely see ya in the morning at BB Park!
And Ryan and I will be at the brunch but we do not know what we are bringing yet

Leeanna Lim said...

I'll be at yoga. 7:30 pm.

The studio is the Midtown plaza with the movie theater. Come a little early because the classes tend to fill up and doors are closed promptly at start time to avoid interruptions.

http://www.stillyoga.com/classes.html

Leeanna Lim said...

Oh and Swimming. Friday 6:15 AM.

www.ymcaatlanta.org/Branches/ELY-East_Lake_YMCA/default.asp

Above is link to the East Lake YMCA. You can print a free 7-day pass from the website.

cpow said...

ok last minute change, im not going to make it to yogart tonight at stillwater sweetwater the yoga brewery :-) i'll be walking Lolly around Decatur so we can both get some exercise. i didnt get up early enough this morning to take her for a walk and i feel guilty, so two birds with one stone! have fun at yoga and i'll see ya'll at BB in the morn!!

Leeanna Lim said...

If anyone wants to meet me there, call me. Otherwise, I might do as Ben presribed -- laying low.

cell 678-457-3005

ANDIE--Rocks! said...

Great job today! Cpow awesome tabba and hill sprints. See ya thursday morning!

nan said...

Hey, just wanted to check in and say I miss you guys! I am giving myself a much-needed rest this week, and rediscovering the joys of 8 hours of sleep. I did go for a bike ride one night, and included several laps around the Mulligans parking lot in honor of our camp! I'm going to DC for a wedding Th-Sun so I will sadly miss the Saturday extravaganza of fun. Good luck to the 5k-ers! Hope to see you next week.

cpow said...

yay we rocked it out this morning! lolly especially enjoyed the snake! thanks for the encouragement from Andie, Leeanna, Kate and Melissa we got another "homework" assignment completed, fork in it DONE!! Patti we missed you, feel better! Nan, we miss ya too and look forward to seeing you soon, have fun at the DC wedding!

I'll be at BB in the morning for our lil run! who will i see there?? come one come all!!

cpow said...

Leeanna whats the scoop on your bellydancing class friday night???

Leeanna Lim said...

Thanks for the reminder Cindy...

Get your free pass to the East Lake YMCA AND get your shake on in my intro bellydance class this Friday night. Beginners & drop-ins welcome any time. Wear comfy workout attire.

Class is from 7:40 pm to 8:40 pm. Still time enough for dinner or drinks afterwards! ;)

Anonymous said...

Are many people planning on the 5K and/or brunch sat?

ANDIE--Rocks! said...

Thanks Leanna for the run this morning I could not have done it without you.
I plan on 5K and brunch on Sat arrie

ANDIE--Rocks! said...

Leanna- I mapped 3.12miles for this morning did you get anything different?
Good Job!

cpow said...

hey gals! sorry i bailed on the run! i sent you a text andie, not sure you got it, but i went back to sleep and woke up 3 hours later!!oooppss!

im in for the swim tomorrow morning! 6:15a at the East Lake Y yes?? im not a strong swimmer so i hope i can dog paddle for 20 laps!

And the brunch is still on, im making cheese grits and french toast! and i'll have some OJ with a kick ;-)

cpow said...

http://www.ymcapass.com/mainCoupon.htm

heres the coupon for tomorrow morn, see yous there in my scuba suit!

ANDIE--Rocks! said...

word up yo!

Anonymous said...

Is there a place that we are all going to meet tomorrow? I am planning on the 5K- 90%. I haven't worked out all week, so ya know. In for brunch. I was going to bring muffin/sconce thingies. Is that OK? Is something else needed?

ANDIE--Rocks! said...

I think we should all wear our fitwit tank tops-it would be cute and we would be able to recognize each other

cpow said...

Ok i'll be wearin my fitwit tankini to the race!

see ya'll at the race and/or the brunch at my pad! remember to park on the street either on Adair or around the corner since my place has limited parking available. im the one upstairs with the yellow umbrella!

Arrie what ever you bring will be terrific!

Michele said...

hi ladies. i am back from ohio so i thought i'd check in. i hope the run went well yesterday. is anyone planning on working out tomorrow morning. let me know - when, where...