Monday, July 28, 2008

Safe Training Basics and Goals

Hydration
It starts the day before your workout. You need to be fully hydrated prior to the start of your workout and continue to hydrate during the workout. Ideally, you should get at least 32oz of liquid in you system approximately 2 hours before camp starts. At camp, you should be drinking another 32 oz during the workout. Bring a full water bottle to camp, and leave with an empty one. Throughout the day, drink another 80 oz of liquid to replenish lost fluids. It will only get warmer and more humid, so get in the habit now of drinking more water.

Injury Prevention
Rule #1: If it hurts, don’t do it. There is a difference between muscle soreness and pain from injury. Part of working out is learning to tell the difference. Learn how your body responds to fatigue and what potential injury feels like. Any sudden sharp pains, pops, snaps, pulls, or tearing sensations are cause for concern. Please keep the trainers updated with anything new. Please don’t wait until the pain keeps you from participating. If you feel new pain during or right after a workout, get some ice on it ASAP. 20 min on, 20 min off, 20 min on if possible. Try to ice twice per day if you can.

Goals
I want to see them. I want you to see them. What are your goals for this camp? Let's get specific. What are you committing to for the next six weeks? Perfect attendance? Actually following the eating plan? Take another 10 sec. off your mile time? Be more encouraging than Michele? Survival?

Take a minute and think about it. Then please post your fitness goals for this camp to the comments.

16 comments:

ANDIE--Rocks! said...

Contract to Fitwit
1. Not to listen when my head tells me I can not do it
2. To not be negative on myself
3. Control my portions when I eat or drink alcohol
4. Work out on Wednesdays and at least one weekend day.
5. Not to be worried about my time as much as my form
6. To not try and find the easy way (one of my hidden talents) Go hard every time
7. Improve every day and always push myself more.
8. Make yourself love running, and become faster when doing it.
9. Instead of watching TV when I come home from work do something active/productive for at least an hour.
10. To gain more muscle and lose more fat all over my body.


Now my wish list
To have a flat stomach
To have my inner thighs NOT touch
To have arms that others would admire
and to have a butt you could bounce a quarter off of (whatever that means)

Anonymous said...

1. Push myself more than last camp.
2. Do cardio at home 2-3 times a week.
3. Stay focused on eatting the way that I should.
4. Keep food journal.
5. Weigh myself once a week and track.
6. Shrink Buddha.
7. Look better and feel great.
8. Appreciate my body.
9. Build friendships while having fun.
10. Get in bed by 10:30.
11. Be able to get in a few double unders.

Andrea V said...

Contract for this session:
1. Push myself harder in daily workouts.
2. Attend all sessions (except for the 3 I know I'll miss).
3. Keep food journal and turn it into the nutritionist every week.
4. Integrate nutritionist's advice into daily eating.
5. Work out on Wednesday and either Sat/Sun.
6. Get my mile to 7 minutes.
7. Get more toned.
8. Gain muscle.
9. Integrate more physical activity into daily life - biking, walking, etc.
10. In bed by 10PM Sun - Thurs.

Anonymous said...

1. Reduce body fat % by 2%
2. Work new muscles
3. Have fun working out
4. Get to bed earlier
5. Feel healthier
6. Be confident about my level of fitness
7. Build community
8. Push myself harder
9. Be conscious of diet / reduce junk food
10. Fit into my Diesel jeans again

Unknown said...

1. Pay attention to form
2. Push myself harder than last camp
3. Eat healthy foods, small portions and keep food log
4. Reduce alcohol consumption
5. Get more sleep
6. Do homework on Wednesdays
7. Lose inches (and preferably weight)
8. Tone my body, esp problem areas
9. Stay motivated
10. Wear the green gown on September 6th!!!!

nan said...

1. Learn to keep better count of my rounds during camp (e.g., work on "wit")
2. Go for a run (or bike ride) at least once (or twice) a week and work in some situps, planks, etc. outside of camp
3. Learn Leanna's double-under magic

Michele said...

1. Focus on Form
2. Strengthen my abs
3. watch my diet and use nutritionist
4. go to bed before 11pm at the latest
5. do homework or swim on wednesdays and do something on the weekends
6. stay motivated and push myself
7. continue to tone, gain muscle and drop body fat%
8. have fun and make friends

Doctor Klampette said...

My goals for camp:
1) Show up every morning
2) Stay positive
3) workout on wednesdays
4) Develop a little of that encouraging spirit that Michele has
5) lose 10#'s

Leeanna Lim said...

I, Leeanna Lim, commit to the following for the next six weeks (July 28 – September 5):

I will attend boot camp classes 4 times a week (except for the one day I’m out of town).

I will swim once a week.

I will focus on my form over speed.

I will do all push-ups on my toes.

I will not compare my performance to others.

I will log my food and activity every day at fitday.com.

I will drink at least 70 oz of water every day before 6 pm.

I will maintain a balanced diet of 40% carbohydrates, 30% proteins and 30% fat.

I will not eat pizza.

I will not drink alcohol.

I will not make excuses.

This contract is solely with myself and carries no rewards, penalties or punishments other than those associated with the reflection of the strength of my character.

Patti said...

1. 100% perfect attendance
2. Improve upper body strength - this continues to be the most difficult area for me.
3. Take another 10-15 seconds off my mile time.
4. Commit to riding my bike to camp at least 1 or 2 mornings per week.
5. Eat more fresh fruits/veggies and fewer takeout meals.

Anonymous said...

1. To lose the 10 lbs I gained sitting in front of a computer at work this past year
2. To weigh 140lbs again
3. To gain muscle definition in my thighs and arms
4. To reduce the size of my butt so I can wear my suit skirts again
5. To gain cardio strength
6. To get up every morning with a positive attitude and be on time to class (generally I'm not a morning person)
7. To cut down on my daily caffeine intake
8. To realize I drink too little water and too much alcohol, and work to reverse those tendencies
9. To be mentally ready for my new job search at 8am each day after camp
10. To listen intently when being coached and then do as instructed

Patti said...

6. Add more protein to my diet and gain some muscle mass.

Unknown said...

Great to be back! I hated to miss the first week but vacation was worth it. My goals:
1. What Andie said.
2. Reframe negative thoughts to positive ones.
3. Work as hard as I can and be okay with the results.
4. Not compare my fitness or body to others'.
5. Eat more fresh fruits and vegetables.
6. To lose weight/gain fitness so I can fit into my old clothes.
7. Work out sensibly to avoid injury.
8. Continue to improve form.
9. Listen to the coaching to me and to others in order to learn.
10. Connect with others.

nan said...

4. I wanted to add that overall this round, my goal is to focus on running/cardio and core strength (hence the goal of stepping up some extra work in these areas outside of camp).
5. Nutrition-wise, I need to cut down on sugar. I love sugar.

kayronrooster said...

Karen's Goals:
1. Make it to Boot Camp twice a week. [Two puppies are sort of derailing the INTENSE training, so I'm shooting for "maintenance"].
2. Run twice a week in the evenings
[We have an impromptu group that runs 4 miles every Monday night from the Thai Bowl in Decatur at 7:00 pm, if anyone is interested.]
3. Build back up to running 10 miles on one weekend day.
4. Maintain a level of fitness that I am comfortable with: feel good running 4-6 miles at a decent pace.
5. Tone up [tummy & arms especially]

Anonymous said...

My contract to myself:
1) Establish a new baseline and new bootcamp buddies
2) Finish what I started re: marathon training and tennis lessons
3) Be 145lbs by girls' weekend in September
4) Complete 20 pullups on the hurdle-bar-thing without stopping
5) Show up every time (unless I'm travelling).