Saturday, April 18, 2009

Keeping Schedules

You should do what's important to you every day. Without fail. Stephen Covey says to put first things first . . . It needs to be habitual. It needs to be on time. You need to set your priorities and NOT let the world set them for you. Fitness, family, faith, whatever it is for you. What's important to you? Do you show that by the time you dedicate to it?

Take this quote from Chris Guillebeau from his 279 Days to an Overnight Success. He's talking about writing. He could just as easily be talking about working out, time with the kids, praying, anything at all that requires continual attention:
The reason why it’s so important to maintain the schedule is because of my own weakness.

I know if I missed a day and nothing happened, then it would be much easier to miss another day. Pretty soon I wouldn’t have much of a schedule, and then I’d have less motivation. It’s a downward spiral that I want to avoid, so I keep the schedule sacred.
Routines and schedules are important if for no other reason, it makes you do the things you know you need to do but don't always want to do. Make important things part of your schedule--perhaps the most important part. Then, keep the schedule sacred.

No comments: