Friday, February 13, 2009

Strength, Muscle, Fat and Body Composition

This article by Tony Leyland gets at the importance of anaerobic exercise AND diet for body composition changes. (Graphs can be found at http://www.exrx.net/FatLoss/WTCalLBWStudy.html.) With diet alone, participants lost weight--fat and muscle mass. With weight training alone, participants lost fat, put on muscle mass, and gained weight. Remind anyone of their first few camps? Weight training and diet combined wins the triple crown: lost weight, lost body fat, and put on that oh so important muscle (lean body mass). The article continues to talk about why scale weight is not the measure of choice for body composition changes:
Regardless of total body weight loss, if you loose body fat and gain muscle then you will “trim down” even if your weight remains constant.
That's FitWit 101.

(8 week program, 40 obese women)

Control Diet Weight Training Weight Training & Diet
Weight (kg) -0.38 -4.47 0.45 -3.89
Fat (kg) -0.07 -3.56 -0.62 -4.32
Lean mass (kg) -0.31 -0.91 1.07 0.43

The group that weight trained and dieted lost more fat than the groups that either dieted or weight trained alone. This study also demonstrates that weight training can maintain (or increase) lean mass while dieting.

Ballor, D.L., Katch, V.L., Becque, M.D., Marks, C.R., American Journal of Clinical Nutrition. 47(1): 19-25, 1988.

11 comments:

Doctor Klampette said...

Here's an address for information about online registration for the 2009 Peachtree Road Race...online registration begins Sunday, March 15th at 7am.
http://www.atlantatrackclub.org/peachtree/peachtree_registration.htm

Michele said...

Way to finish the first session of 2009!! I would like to workout this week if anyone wants to join me. I am up for any morning...Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday or Friday. Let me know if you are interested.

Doctor Klampette said...

Michele, I am up for a workout tomorrow. Any ideas? We could do a run, or an old homework workout, or any ole AMRAP workout.

Michele said...

Let's meet at one step at a time at 6:15 and both bring a few favorite old homeworks or we could run the loop a few times

Doctor Klampette said...

Okay, I'll meet you there at 6:15...anyone else going to join us???????

Michele said...

It sounds like there is a good chance for rain in the morning. If it is dry - I would love to work out. Anyone want to join me?

Michele said...

I am guessing no response means everyone is sleeping in. I will just workout at my apartment complex or maybe run tomorrow night at Manuels.

Michele said...

Thursday morning workout - anyone interested?

Michele said...

Andie and I will be at one step at a time tomorrow morning at 6:15 if anyone wants to join us! The more the merrier!!! :-)

Doctor Klampette said...

Michelle and Andie, I am just checking in on the blog. I am planning on being there in the morning.

ANDIE--Rocks! said...

It is not storming so I will definately be there
Any ideas on what we are doing?